Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Value


I have struggled for a long time with the concept of WHO I AM as a wife and then, more recently, as a mother. In our society we are constantly bombarded by who is valuable--what the person looks like, what they have and by what kind of work they do. Well, I am currently on year five of an identity crisis. The Bible and many people that I greatly admire tell me one thing. My society (be it in the U.S. or here in the Philippines) tells me something else. What makes me valuable?

In my struggle I have become somewhat bitter about who I am right now. My "job" looks so mundane. Even as a missionary I am sort of second rate because I don't have a ministry outside my home at this point. I'm not changing the world. I'm not affecting large groups of people. I'm here at home organizing our lives, cooking meals, washing dishes, changing diapers, wiping faces, trying to make sure I have enough time for my husband despite the time and energy I put into being a mom. And as soon as I think, "Ah hah! Here's my chance! Max is getting older. I have more energy!" we get a little surprise in the form of a positive pregnancy test (that's a different issue altogether).

So, because I'm "sacrificing" so much (you know, sacrificing the approving looks of the outside world, the pat on the back from the feminists--for lack of a better word, and that stamp "Super Mom" which actually means "Wow! You take care of your husband and children as well as working 8+ hours a day outside the home, are involved in the PTA, head up two ministries at church and have the energy to hang out with the girls one night a week!") I feel like my son and my husband "owe" it to me. Max owes it to me to be a good boy and not throw his food on the floor or act silly at nap time or throw a fit in the middle of the mall. Mike owes it to me for ALL that I do for him and for sacrificing what I "could be."

So the other afternoon, as I'm carrying laundry to the back room, still feeling a bit frustrated from my almost sabotaged attempts to get Max down for his nap, I hear that little voice inside. I feel I can safely say that voice is God's. It wasn't mine and it wasn't any evil being's. The voice said, "Take joy in what I've given you to do." It was clear, pure and exactly what I needed to hear. And it keeps coming back to me when that bitterness begins to creep in. "Take joy in what I've given you to do." I have been placing my value in what I think other people see as valuable. Therefore, I resent the "littleness" of my identity. I don't think that's how God sees me. I'm pretty sure I am exactly where He wants me and I can say with confidence with the Bible backing me that He considers me valuable. He considers my role and my identity valuable. It is what He has given me to do.

And by the way, no one owes me anything. Mike, Max and myself owe everything to Jesus Christ for dying for us and giving us a new life. I shouldn't expect something of my son or my husband because they owe it to me. They owe whatever is good and right to God, and so do I.

I'm not saying that I'm jumping around with joy as I wash dishes or walk around the block ONE MORE TIME in 85 degree heat with 90% humidity because Max wants to. BUT, I'm getting somewhere. I'm moving forward with this "identity crisis" that I've been in. Those words just keep coming back to me when I want to be resentful, "Take joy in what I've given you to do."

6 comments:

  1. You really encouraged me today! Thanks for being vulnerable and real for the world to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend,
    I wrote on your fb that I find you valuable but that was before reading this.
    Let me say that not only are you oh so valuable to me and my husband, Max and Mike but our heavenly Father who sacrificed His ONLY SON for you because you are that precious, that blessed and YES that valueable. Thanks for the reminder that our identity in is Christ alone and that all that we are we owe to Him!
    On a I need to encourage you note, You do so much! Your husband is your ministry. Your Son is your minisrty. Your cooking for five is your ministry. You having a clean home open to visitors in your ministry. You going to the grocery store is your ministry. You baking the best chocolate chip cookies in your ministry. You even taking a nap is your ministry. Because with out all those things Mike could not be doing what he is doing, God would have to find someone else to help Filipino missionaries get out to so many unreached, we would not be as super excited to go to Manila every few months, Your neighbors wouldn't have any one to stare at, and Max would not be the smartest little 18 month old I know! YOU DO SO MCUH!! I appreciate you and your MANY ministries! I love you and am so blessed to have you in my life! Keep your eyes on Jesus.
    Oh and keep bloging. I love it! I know I know I need to do it too! maybe I will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you, girl! I am struggling all the time with the same issue. I recently proposed to a group of girls doing a study on "our role as women" and after sharing my struggles they all looked at me like I was a terrible person and could not understand where I was coming from. I went home so discouraged and feeling hopeless in frustration. You are such a kindred spirit to me and I miss you so much. I wish my words were as encouraging as Erin's above, but maybe just knowing your not alone will be of some encouragement! I will be praying for you. Thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susanna,
    Those are some of the issues I struggled with on our sabbatical year--going from being full time Children's Pastor, with people contact all day every day, to wife of Buist, with little or no people contact. It was a good year for me to learn that God loves me for who I am, not for what I do!! A friend reminded me that all of those "greats" in the Bible experienced life with its routines and daily drudgery and tasks for years at a time in between the great things recorded about them in the Scriptures. It was in those days and weeks and months of living life, that He prepared them for the things recorded in Scripture for us!
    Love, Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susanna, I wish I could just come over and have a play date with you and Max and just talk for hours--(well, as much as we can while our wild kids play, both in our tummies and out :)). Philippines isn't as far as the U.S. from here but still far enough...:( I love your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Ladies! I feel encouraged : ). I know this is a season of my life. It is not my whole life. But I don't want to look back on it one day and wish it back, wish that I had made more of it, wish that I had my beautiful babies back to love more fully, wish that I had supported Mike more sufficiently and more whole-heartedly. I think in every stage of our lives, whether we are stay-at-home mothers, working mothers, mother students, ministry mothers (and of course wives!!!) we should take joy in what God has given us to do. Now to just do that...

    ReplyDelete